Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Kids on a Leash?!?!?


So today I was in Barnes and Nobles and I noticed this dad drinking his coffee and reading a book while yelling at his kid. Now I can understand if your child is misbehaving, this happens to me all the time. You need to stop and redirect them. However, what really bothered me is that this man had his child on a leash. I have seen it before, but for some reason it just hit me wrong today. How demeaning is that to your child?!!? What the? I mean he wasn't even letting his boy (who was about 4 years old!!!!) read a book or play at the little train station toy place. He was doing what HE wanted to do, in the time HE wanted to do it. Isn't having your child on a leash a great method for authoritarian parenting, or maybe just submissive parenting, either way it is demeaning. Maybe I am being judgmental, but this guy probably should have resorted to getting a dog instead of a child.

5 comments:

Teddy, Scott, & baby Jane said...

Oh my gosh! I know I have seen those leashes before and I'm just like, "Seriously people?" I would NEVER put my kid on a leash no matter how much I have to chase after them! So girl, whether or not you're being judgemental, that is just wrong!

M said...

i thought the same thing until I had a kid that doesn't really stay in one place...i only use one if we are in a really crowded place on vacation (like Disneyland or Vegas) because it's amazing that the second you turn your head, they're about 10 yards away. but i agree, you shouldn't put your kid on a leash just to do the normal day to day stuff. it's selfish, especially if you're not letting your kid explore and do fun things.

Professor Hall said...

Yes, a leash is good for protection, not for control. Though, sometimes the leash could be useful on the parent's tongue.

Sarah said...

No Way!!!! This is my "library lady" opinion. There is a time for a kid leash and then there is not. This is not one of those time. That Dad is just rude and lasy and mostly rude!

Camille said...

That is terrible that he was just making his child sit there while being tied to him. I used to think those leashes for children were the most horrible things, until we had a 2 year-old foster child that would disappear as fast as lightning. It was SO scary! Now with my own son who hates to be in a stroller, I once again see their usefulness. He doesn't want to hold my hand the whole time we're at a mall or Dland, but I can't have him running away all the time either. I'm too pregnant to chase him down three times in ten minutes. I've tried it. His "leash" is attached to a monkey backback that he loves, but he still holds on to it in a way that makes me think I'm the one being led around. He can lead, as long as I don't have to run after him.