Sunday, August 9, 2009

The River

I really like the lyrics of this song by Garth Brooks

You know a dream is like a river
Ever changin' as it flows
And a dreamer's just a vessel
That must follow where it goes
Trying to learn from what's behind you
And never knowing what's in store
Makes each day a constant battle
Just to stay between the shores.


I always had dreams and plans back in high school. My dreams were that I wanted to go to school out in Utah and major in Social Work and get married and have a family. Now, life has happened and things just didn't turn out the way I had planned. Granted, it is important to set goals and work at achieving them cause God never takes away our agency. But sometimes he does inspire us and direct us in the places that he deems would be the best for us. Sometimes we make plans and they happen, like me becoming a social worker. However, sometimes our plans are directed in another way, like in me attending school at BYUI instead of Utah State. And sometimes our goals are postponed like me being married and starting a family. Having to be a vessel that must follow where the river flows is a frustrating task at times. But the song continues to say:


There's bound to be rough waters
And I know I'll take some falls
But with the good Lord as my captain
I can make it through them all
.

I know this. I know that if I put my trust in him that things will work out for the best. He is the perfect Captain. He will never let us sink if we are willing to trust in Him and allow Him to help us.

No comments: